Looking for an active cycling holiday but want a more exhilarating challenge? We’ve just added two new challenging cycling routes to our ever-growing ‘Challenging’ category of trips that will test even the most experienced cyclists.
Our demanding yet rewarding level 5 cycling trips aren’t for the faint hearted and require an excellent level of fitness. Ranging from 55 to 95km (34 to 59mi) a day on mountainous terrain, these trips are for avid bikers who want to challenge their stamina and push themselves beyond their limits while taking in the stunning alpine views.
Are you up for the challenge?
Coast to Coast Pyrenees Cycle | France
Test your skills and get a glimpse of France’s wilder side when you cycle from coast to coast through the rugged Pyrenees range. This guided trip takes you over some of the Pyrenees’ most famous Cols as you cycle a distance of over 600km (400mi) in nine days.
- Average stages of 75kms (46.6 mi) and daily ascents of around 1500m (up to 2938m)
- Experience the camaraderie of cycling with a group of like-minded cyclists
- Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with being followed by a support vehicle
- Choose a carbon road bike or for those wanting to take it a little easier, e-bikes are available
- Cycling part of the legendary Tour de France route
- The exhilarating feeling of freewheeling through diverse landscapes and towns
- Spotting rare wildlife along the way
- Delving into local cuisine
Reserve your place on the Coast-to-Coast Pyrenees Cycle here.
Swiss Alpine Passes Cycle | Switzerland
This ‘king’ of Swiss cycle routes will test your stamina, even if you opt for an e-bike. Pass enchanted castles, picturesque vineyards and be rewarded with breathtaking alpine views as you cycle over numerous mountain passes with ascents of up to 1800m (5905 ft). The ‘Alpine Panorama Route’ crosses the northern flanks of the Alps where villages have retained their rich culture and the sound of cowbells offer encouragement as you ascend the winding roads.
- Daily average cycle of 72km (44.7 mi)
- Self guided: enjoy the sights at your own pace
- Cycle past stunning alpine scenery through rolling Appenzell and Toggenburg
- Demanding ascents and exhilarating descents
- Astonishing views of lakes, mountains, and gorges
- Classic Swiss hospitality
- Exquisite treats of world-renowned cheese and chocolate
Think you’ve got what it takes? Find out more about the nine-day Swiss Alpine Passes Cycle.